Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Update 5/25/11

I feel like going gluten free has saved the quality of my life, no it has not saved my life- only Jesus can do that, but I now feel like I can take on the world whereas before I had debilitating fatigue, brain fog, mood swings, etc. Today I am trying really hard to be grain-free, I feel much better. Yesterday after I had a bowl of popcorn I felt sick, not stomach ache sick just tired and blah feeling. Josiah seems to be doing much better overall. He still gets hyperactive at times, but he is much more easy going. It also seems like he's growing, we will be measuring him in two days when he turns 28 months to see how much, last month it seemed as though he didn't grow at all. He has put on some weight which is amazing since he hasn't in many months.

I have gained weight as well. I know some of it is water weight as I am pre-menstrual, but I haven't weighed this much since I was pregnant! Actually it is my pre-pregnancy weight of 108. I am hoping to maintain that weight and not drop down to 102 ever again. I didn't feel healthy and I know I didn't look healthy at that weight. But now I know I was just malnourished, no matter how many good foods I ate I wasn't absorbing them. I think it is the same situation as when I was a kid and stopped growing, I so wish they had done more testing on me to see if I had celiac disease and/or gluten intolerance. I think it is the number one cause of kids not growing. I don't know if I'll ever have definitive genetic testing, but it doesn't matter I know I was reacting to it and now I know I need to avoid it-possibly for life.

My appetite has increased dramatically though. I have heard of this happening in the beginning of going grain-free because the body is trying to get all the nutrition it can to make up for the time it was starving. I have been doing the soup now for over two weeks, a few days I skipped. I am making another batch tonight from chicken bone broth that I had simmering all last night. I am hoping this one is very gelatin rich since I included 4 chicken feet! I hope Josiah will actually eat this one, he only had a few bites of the beef stock steak soup. I will also be limiting dairy because I do not digest it very well and if I have raw kefir it causes the pain in my legs to flare up, I still don't have a definitive answer about what it is. I've heard it is mercury toxicity, die-off, or caused because protein types don't do well on fermented foods, I just don't know for sure. One day I hope I can introduce small amounts of kefir, and I want to try raw sour cream.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sooo happy for you!!! I've read both your recent posts. I do think ALL grains need to be eliminated and that IS why so many people never heal on a GF diet. Glutefreesociety.org would be the best source for this info as they are always posting scientific articles about corn gluten affecting people who are sensitive to gluten. I just wish you could know all your trigger foods as well. Maybe you are allergic to dairy? Sometimes the easiest way to quit is when it's in writing. But it sounds like you for sure are sticking with the elimination of gluten and I think that's great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle! Yes I had heard about it on that website, but I still thought corn might be okay for us (ha!). I'm out of denial now! complete avoidance is my goal now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey..you were talking about your weight..the wierd thing is that wheni went to the gym a few days ago, i weighed only 107..and you know what my height is....but yet i am far from mal-nourished..i eat lots of food! BUt also i dont have any food issues like you..no matter what i eat wheather god or bad, raw or not..my body feels exactly the same. i have no adverse reactions to antyhign i eat.. what do you think about all this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie this worries me! You should without a doubt weigh more than that! I am 108 today and still feel skinny. Believe me when I say that celiac can go undiagnosed for 40 years, until it becomes a serious problem. Not saying you have celiac, but gluten sensitivity causes damage to the intestines that you do not see or feel (unless the damage is extensive!) and prevents nutrients from being absorbed, and causes a huge amount of stress on the adrenals and can also cause auto-immunity. My friend Michelle who commented above (hope you don't mind me saying this), is about my age and got rheumatoid arthritis because of her gluten intolerance, she had no symptoms leading up to it. For you I would say and we can talk about this more, but just to give you some food for thought, I would look into a grain free diet, maybe even just trial it for a couple weeks, no harm done, you just avoid all grain products and see what things get better, and if nothing happens other than gaining some healthy weight than I would say that is a sign you were reacting to gluten. I was malnourished while eating lots of good quality expensive foods, I feel worlds different without grains in my diet that I didn't know I could feel so fast. I will talk to you soon Juls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hooray for gluten free!!! it can be quite amazing just how much changes from it can't it?! I had a similar experience. After years of thinking that my moods etc. were just who I was/my psychology etc. then literally a few days of gluten-free (and in my case dairy-free (casein) too) and it all lifted! keep going with it.

    ReplyDelete